Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Homemade Caramel Pie

Out of all the holiday "normals" that one can pick to be their "normal" I sure as heck picked a time consuming treat!  How can you resist caramel pie though?  Seriously, I want to know?!  Here's instructions on how you too can fall into the task of having to bring the caramel pie to the holiday festivities…..


Homemade Caramel Pie
2 cans Eagle Brand Sweetened Milk
1 Tbsp Olive Oil (optional)
1 pie shell or 12 mini shells
Milk Chocolate Chips
Chopped Pecans
Whipped topping

Instructions:  Remove labels from the cans of Eagle Brand Sweetened Milk and place on their side in a large pot.  Fill the pot with water so the cans are completely submerged.  Add 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil to the water.  With the stovetop on HIGH bring water to a boil.  Once at a boil, turn the cans 180 degrees and replenish the water (it does evaporate, keep those cans completely covered at all times) every 30 minutes for a total of 3 hours.  Once the cans have boiled for 3 hours remove from heat.  Keep in mind these cans are HOT, I typically pour the cans out into the sink while I'm draining out the water.  Allow the cans to cool for 2 hours.  Once cooled, open cans and spoon into a pie shell(s).  Top with whipped topping, chopped pecans and chocolate chips.

*Yes, the stovetop must remain on HIGH for the whole 3 hour boiling period.  Look at it is as though you are getting a free pass to the spa because your kitchen and home will turn into a moist sauna!  

*I say the Olive Oil is optional because I read that it helps the caramel boil more evening.  I've never tested whether this is actually true or not because I'm not spending 3 hours to find out if no olive oil equals lumpy scorched caramel!  

Not a fan of pie?  No problem!  Use the caramel as a topping for ice cream, apples, etc. 

I secretly enjoy making these pies only because I know how delicious my family thinks they are and I think they are pretty scrumptious as well!  



Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment